Nikos Engonopoulos | The Clavicords of Silence

Nikos Engonopoulos, 'Composition' (1960)
 
 
... and everything remains silent, and silence is
good only if it holds joy within. Otherwise
I fear it ...
                        LEE
 
 
the seeds
of werewolves
strain
the rudders
of the horizon
they thrust
illuminated flutes
amid
the blood-stained dresses
hanging
from the leafy branches
of trees
they drown crows
in the mirrors
they seek
the justice
and mercy
of
children
 
but
I
lay red flowers
in her hair
I rise
all naked
in
crimson
gardens
I lose myself
inside
dark caves
whose depths
shroud
sewing-machines
and yellow
fish
that talk
like flowers
 
and perhaps
I am
that werewolf
of lightning
the one they call
– when darkness falls –
the “man as parenthesis”
in the bellows
of snares
in
the shrouds
of the pathway
at some nightly
hour
when
a bird
dies away
like a sulphur candle
 
and so
down the temples
of the despairing
clavichords
– drop by drop –
they fall,
the couples
of the disheartened,
and a
heavy cloud
of long
fair hair
– with eyes of ash –
sweeps silently
through
long narrow basements
where there only blossom
sea havens
and
hawks
 
and the silence is
fire
a rope-ladder
carefully
positioned
on the lips
and a white
horse
which is
a tree
by the sea
and a red
horse
like a flag
 
and I plane
– tirelessly –
over the waters
on my lyrical
bicycle
wearing the helmet
of love
 
and when I reach
the last
step
of this
dark
ladder
and open
the door
of the room
only then I realise
that the room
was
– is –
a vast
garden
full of music
and pictures
 
– a room
full of sheets
thrown about
in
the garden – 
 
sheets,
some flapping
like flags
and like
glass panes
and some
thrown about
like mirrors
others
uttering
inarticulate words
like chimneys
or spread
on beds
like comets
some like
jugs
others
like tusks
and others
draping
in dew
and woeful cries
beautiful
naked women
 
so that
I should
– perhaps in dire need –
compare
the whole
situation
to a piece of glass
which when you set
against your eye
you see
a deep
well
and in the
distance
a
b i r d
 
 
(My translation ~ 2001)
 
 
 
Notes
 
1. My translation was originally published in the Autumn 2001 issue of Poetry Greece, a biannual publication devoted to Modern Greek poetry, and won the Keeley-Sherrard Translation Award. 

2. You can read the Greek text, under the title «Τα κλειδοκύμβαλα της σιωπής», here.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoe Karelli | Journey of the Magi

Giorgos Seferis | Mythic History (Part II)